Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Tuesday's TIP...

It's another "Tuesday's Tip" at "According to Lala"... here's one for all the Moms of "little ones" (and not so little ones)...

We are all for giving our children choices (me included)... BUT... I am not for giving children unlimited choices... so here is how I approach "choices"...

Give your child no more than 3 choices... BUT... make those choices choices that YOU would be alright with (nomatter which one they choose)... for example... For snack after school I usually offer her three choices like cut up apple... cinnamon toast... or cheese and crackers... so nomatter which my daughter chooses... I'm ok with any of the three... and my daughter feels good because she got to make a choice as to what she wanted for snack... another example... when we are going to take a little carride... I give my daugther the choice of taking books... coloring book and crayons... or her favorite little Kelly Dolls... see? Any of those three would be fine with me... but SHE GETS TO MAKE THE CHOICE...

I've used this little approach with both my children... revising the choices as they have gotten older (for example... when my son was younger he could either do his homework in his room... or at the kitchen table... he could mow the lawn before OR after dinner... ect.)

Give your children choices... BUT... LIMIT the choices you give... they'll be happy... and so will you!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh Lala, that'd been handy when my kids were young---I was such a my way type of parent when Niki and Cody were young, believe it or not. I regret that now, wish I'd been a little more flexible. xoxo

Stacey said...

LOL, yeah, LALA, If I didn't know better, I might think 'pure innocence'! But look closer at that face--it ain't easy to look that angry! Where's your WW? xoxo

Jacki McHale said...

Thanks Lala, I will so keep this in mind when my little people are big enough to choose.

It lets them be big and make there own choice but you have all the control.

Super smart!!
Thanks!

Suzie said...

now they give me choices.. mom here is your choices...cremated or buried or should we let the dog take you out back with his bones