Monday, September 24, 2007

May I Have This Dance?

Both my husband and I will be watching DANCING WITH THE STARS this season (as we have every season)... Here's one reason why...

One of the most romantic things my husband has EVER done for/with me is taken Ballroom Dancing lessons... now... if you KNEW my husband you'd know why this meant so much to me at the time... (remember Elaine "dancing" at the wedding reception on Sienfeld? Well... picture THAT in a male version... OK... NOW you have an idea... NOT a "natural born dancer")... growing up a "proper Southern young lady" I was taught at COTILLION how to do a proper waltz... one of my FAVORITE ballroom dances... and I had always told my husband of my "desire" to waltz with him... so unbeknownst to me (until he came home one day and "announced" very proudly) he signed us up for Ballroom Dancing Lessons!!! It was fun (and at times funny)... and he tried SO HARD... even taking the time at home to practice... we would move the kitchen table and dance on the linoleum floor (the closest thing to a dance floor in our house at the time)... surprisingly.. he really got "into it" and at one point said to me "This is kinda fun" (OMG... did he just SAY THAT???)... we took Ballroom Dancing Lessons for 2 1/2 years... we learned to waltz together... and occassionally he will still take me in his arms and we will waltz around our kitchen on the linoleum floor... and he will look at me and say "This is STILL KINDA FUN"...

Unfortunately due to his work schedule the lessons had to stop... but hopefully one day soon we can get back to the "Ballroom"... until then... we'll just dance the waltz on the linoleum floor...

2 comments:

Jacki McHale said...

Oh how much fun is that! Ed is so not a dancer! He would just rather watch me. I can get him to slow dance with me though.

At our wedding, ous song was "Can't take my eyes off of you" but the version by Lauren Hill, which has a funky beat at one point and we actually stoped slow dancing and did our own free style dance. It still is my favorite dance to date!

That's awesome that you have that with each other!

Sharon Sews said...

Oh Lala - that's so sweet! I'm not a Southern girl but my parents both loved to dance so we grew up learning to waltz and polka in the small living room with the furniture pushed back against the walls. I thought *everyone's* parents did that!
I hope you find time to get back to our lessons.