Thursday, September 13, 2007

Nipping It In The Bud...

This little note arrived home in my daughter's school folder today...

Dear Parents/Guardians,
If your son/daughter is planning on sending invitations to school for a birthday party please send enough invitations for the ENTIRE class. If every classmate is not invited, invitations will be sent back home with your child. Thank you for your cooperation!
Educationally Yours- Teacher's Name

KUDDOS to my daughter's teacher... for "nipping" a very "sensitive" situation in the bud... I have very strong feelings about this... I DO NOT think that invitations (for ANY event not related to school) should be given out in school PERIOD... whether every student is invited or not... I have been the parent of a child that was the only one in the class NOT to receive an invitation to a party (when my son was in 2nd Grade) and came home totally HEARTBROKEN... was his invitation "lost" in the shuffle? Did he just get "overlooked" for an invite? Did his invitation mistakenly get given to someone else? Nope... come to find out the child having the party "just didn't like" my son... so he wasn't invited...

Last year for my daughter's birthday... I invited 6 little girls from her pre-school class... the 6 little girls that she played with daily in class... knew their names... and had a "social relationship" with (WHY would I invite someone to her party that she didn't even "KNOW") ... I sent the invitations THROUGH THE MAIL... and didn't discuss it at "pick up" (when all the Mom's would stand around and chat waiting for the kids in the afternoon)... I felt that since the event was happening "outside" of school... I would invite who my daughter was comfortable with and that would be alright... and it was... It was an "out of school" event... that stayed "out of school"...

My daughter has been in school a total of 10 days so far... 10 days... I have asked her since day one the name of ANY of her classmates... she has told me 2 (a boy and a girl)...

Am I being a Freak? Is it weird that I would wonder HOW WELL little kids could know each other in 10 days? Is it weird that I would have a "problem" buying a gift for a kid that my daughter may not even "know"? Am I weird to wonder if the "invitations sent home" included one for my daughter or was she one of the excluded ones? Am I weird to be thankful that the teacher had the foresight to "nip this situation in the bud"?

No comments: