Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Tuesday's "TIP"...

Tuesday's are "TIP DAY" at According to Lala... so here ya go!!!

I always "play(ed) pretend" with Lilley-Kate (and Nick when he was little)... Lilley-Kate seems to be my "cautious child" and doesn't really "warm up" to unfamiliar events/situations... so we "Play pretend" when an upcoming event is approaching... for example:

First Dentist Visit (which occured this past Summer... She inherited her Mommy's teeth)... About a month before the visit I got a Story book about visiting the dentist... we would read the book and then we would "play dentist"... I would have her lay back on the couch and open her mouth... I got one of my old surgical masks and put it on (I was the "dentist")... I got a napkin and layed it on her chest... then I would "go through" the whole dental thing... looking at teeth... counting teeth... opening wide... sticking out her tounge... Well... when we actually went to visit the dentist... Lilley-Kate was "comfortable" with everything... so it was a PLEASANT EXPERIENCE!

Another example:

We were invited to attend a semi-formal anniversary brunch... so in anticipation of Lilley Kate attending her first "semi-formal" event we would "play Pretend"... We would play "dress up" and have a tea party... I would teach her to sit up straight in her seat (and also taught her dollies)... we practiced saying "Please" and "Thank You"... and "Nice to meet you"... we even practiced dancing (basic boxstep)... so when we attended the Brunch... Lilley-Kate had a basic understanding of "what" would be happening... She was comfortable in the enviornment and it was a PLEASANT EXPERIENCE!

So my "tip"... "Play Pretend" in anticipation of upcoming events... it'll be a fun way to "teach" your children and spend time together!!!

No comments: