Wednesday, October 03, 2007

Support AND Oppose...

There is a "big" homework debate going on around here... well... in the "township" that borders the city that I live in... I have friends whos children go to a particular "township" school that is having the debate and my friends have kinda been "asking" my opinion on homework... I think I have made some of them a bit disappointed in my responses to their questions/statements... I thought I would share SOME of the questions I have been asked...

Do you think it is unfair to give children homework? NO... Not if the homework given is used as a "tool" by the teacher to reinforce the days lessons... I think it is a good way for the teacher to gauge how well students are understanding the lesson(s) that have been taught during the day... Yes.. if the homework is given because the teacher did not have the time during the day to teach the lesson and gives the child(ren) the lesson (that SHOULD'VE been taught DURING SCHOOL) and expects them to "teach themsleves"

Do you think they should be given EXTRA CREDIT if they DO the homework? Absolutely NOT... homework should be given a "grade" (check if it is done... check minus if it is not)... but not an EXTRA CREDIT GRADE...

Do you think they should be given the chance to get the homework done IN SCHOOL? No... HOMEwork should be done at HOME... if HOMEwork IS allowed to be done during class than it should be called "CLASSWORK"...

Like I said... I think I have kinda "disappointed" a few of my friends by my answers... but then again I have been "reminded" by some of the friends that "I" don't attend that particular school... and I POLITELY tell them they are absolutely right... BUT... THEY don't attend the school either... THEIR CHILDREN DO... and I ask them... are you TRULY "upset" because your child is bringing home HOMEWORK... or are you upset because YOU are the one that ends up DOING IT?

1 comment:

Ali said...

I like my son's homework. At least it keeps me in touch with what he is learning in class so we can re-inforce it at home.

It's a dangerous thing, in my opinion, to entrust the entire responsibility for teaching/learning to a school.