Saturday, June 23, 2007

The Urge to Purge...

I've always been a very orderly person... a place for everything and everything in its' place... disorganization makes me CRAZY! Ever since I can remember (probably back to early teenage years) I have had this purging "urge" that overcomes me at any given time... I can usually "feel" it coming on... kinda like a cold... I start feeling a bit "blah" about things... become completely unmotivated... a bit more bitchy than usual... I let things slide by the wayside and am totally unproductive during the day... and then it hits... I grab a big black trashbag and just start filling it... I go around the house like a madwoman gathering up the "clutter" (papers, old toys, clothes (they get donated to the shelter), books, magazines, really ANYTHING that just doesn't seem to FIT) and stuffing them into the bag... and as the bag gets filled... I can almost actually FEEL my mood lifting... I fill up the trashbag and tie the top... take it out to the garage and return to the house and all becomes right in my world... I always thought it was the strangest little "ritual" and for the longest time never mentioned it to anyone else (for fear that they would think I am a TOTAL FREAK)... then one day a friend of mine was telling me SHE was feeling "blah"... totally unmotivated, unproductive and uncreative... could it possibly be that I wasn't the ONLY person that had/has the "Urge to Purge"? I shyly revealed my secret... my friend tried it for the first time... and she is now a dedicated purger also... I know we aren't the only two...there are probably hundreds... maybe even thousands of other purgers out there... I invite you to practice the "Urge to Purge" the next time you are feeling "foggy"... don't THINK about it... just DO IT... clear the clutter... a place for everything and everything in its' place... and all will be right in your world...

1 comment:

Mrs. J said...

Omg! I completely can relate to this! I have always had the urge to purge since I was a young girl. Sometimes I'm lazy but there are more times when it suddenly comes up and then wham! I clean and clean and clean non-stop. It then makes me very happy seing a clean room/house.