Monday, February 23, 2009

Counting the "Lasts"...

I have become keenly aware recently that I need to pay CLOSE ATTENTION... to the "Lasts"... because they are becoming more frequent now than the "Firsts"... My Favorite Girl is growing up... and will soon be celebrating a birthday... Lilley-Kate has become "Miss Independent" all of a sudden... wanting to do EVERYTHING herself... *sigh*...

I remember the last time Nick wanted me to sing "You are My Sunshine" to him before bed... the last time I insisted on "holding hands" while walking in a parking lot (it was the LAST time... and I knew it would be... so I felt justified in the insisting)... when I became "Mom" instead of "Mommy"... the last time kissing him "goodbye" in front of the school wasn't met with a roll of the eyes and a shushed "ugh"... the last time HE TOLD ME "Mommy... you are the prettiest girl in the world"... all tucked safely away in my "Last" Memories"...

We so anxiously await the "Firsts"... First smile... first "coo"... first steps...

I'm NOT anxiously awaiting the "Lasts"... but I am keeping my eyes WIDE open... because I know... they will arrive... I want to remember them... the "LASTS"... as fondly as I remember the "FIRSTS"...




Never underestimate the value of the little moment- Anonymous

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Completely agree! Definitely important to keep your eyes wide open for those special times that seem to slip by all to quickly!
Love the note from LK~ sweet!!
XOXO
Amy

amylouwhosews said...

Oh boy - I was just lamenting this too. My little guy is a full time walker now and I'm afraid I missed his last waggley-bum crawl down the hallway... I miss the gummy smile too.

Jenn said...

now that is definitely precious! what a sweet note to find. they grown and change and become their own little people...despite our efforts to hold them back don't they? happy birthday to the not-so-big-yet birthday girl!!

Jenn