Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Tuesday's "TIP"...

Today is "TIP" Day at According to Lala...

When Lilley-Kate was 4 I tried and tried to figure out a way to "teach" patience... teach her that sometimes you have to WAIT for something and not everything happens immediately... I racked my brain to think of a way to "teach" patience...

I finally came up with the "timer" method... a few times a day... whenever Lilley-Kate would ask for something (snack... toy... help) I would tell her "to be patient" and would set the timer for 3 minutes... I told her when the timer "beeped" I would give her what she asked for... once she got use to the 3 minute "delay"... I increased it by 1 minute, until we were at 7 minutes... I would say within the month... she had "learned patience"... so if we had to wait in line... she could wait quietly... if I had to get things together before heading out... she could patiently wait... and even to this day I will occassionally set the timer just as a "reinforcement" of the original lesson...

Try it with your little ones... start with 2 minutes... and work up to what you are comfortable with...

Have a GREAT Tuesday!!!

No comments: